Who knew you can get plump, firm and glowy skin from an in-home facial tool that’s under $20? Today I’m giving you the 411 on Jade Rolling, all it’s benefits and why you really need to make it part of your skincare routine. Some of you may still be contemplating about investing in this “insta-hyped” facial tool or have recently picked one up with no idea how to properly use it. After all, it is just a pretty rock on a metal stick, but there’s a reason why it’s everyone’s favorite depuffing tool! If you want to get in on the glow-enhancing, de-puffing action of a jade roller, keep scrolling to read my guide on how to maximize the use of this beauty tool and get to rolling! (hah get it, 😉).
What is a Jade Roller?
A Jade Roller is a facial tool made from 100% natural jade stone, designed to decrease puffiness, increase circulation and smooth fine lines. I like to think of it as a daily workout for your face or better yet, a mini at-home facial session! Even though Jade Rollers popularized during the latest round of in-home beauty devices, they aren’t new to the market. These facial tools have been around since the 17th century in the hands of Chinese empresses and members of high society (fancy right)?. The Jade Roller is great for calming your skin, eliminating toxins, decreasing morning puffiness, and stimulating collagen. At first glance it looks pretty straight forward compared to a lot of the other skincare gadgets out there, but there’s a bit more technique to rolling your skin to all these amazing benefits.
How do you use it?
Always start by cleansing your skin and applying your morning and evening skincare as you normally would. The most important motto when it comes to Jade Rolling is to always roll outwards, never inwards!!
1. Start at the centre of your chin and roll outwards towards your hairline.
2. The bridge of your nose is the central point of your face and you should always work outwards from there. Start at the corner of your nose, doing big sweeping motions working away from the nose and towards your ears.
3. Most Jade Rollers are double-ended to use around the eye area and mouth. Using light pressure, apply the small end of your jade roller into the inner corner of your eye and roll outwards towards your temples.
4. To finish off the eye area, use the larger end of the jade roller at the start of your eyebrows and roll downwards towards your temples.
5. On your forehead, use gentle strokes and roll upwards towards the hairline and then finish off by rolling horizontally across your forehead.
When to use it?
You should be using your jade roller during your morning and nighttime routine. My favorite way to use my Jade Roller is after cleansing my skin, toning and applying my skincare products. I feel like it helps all the products seep into my skin that much better, plus it feels like a mini facial session! A big bonus when you have busy mornings and need a 5 minute pick-me-up before rushing out the door! Notice how glowy and tightened your face looks after a professional facial? When you go to an esthetician, they throughly massage and work each product into your skin after applying it and most importantly, they take their time. Whereas we tend to apply our products on a surface level rather than really working them into the skin and allowing them to sink in. Using your jade roller after applying your skincare products is the best way to finish off your routine.
How can it benefit my skin?
First off, Jade is a natural stone that’s been used in traditional Chinese beauty rituals for centuries and is known to eliminate toxins, protect and heal your skin. In traditional Chinese medicine, jade was used to eliminate negative energy, heal pain, and revitalize certain areas of your body. Incorporating a jade roller into your skincare routine has many benefits:
• LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE: If used correctly, jade rolling will stimulate lymphatic drainage throughout your entire face and help get rid of that “I barely slept last night” look. The reason why you must always roll outwards is because you’re breaking down the lymph fluid away from your eyes and certain places where it tends to accumulate. Many factors such as unhealthy diet, dehydration, and lack of sleep can make it harder for your body to rid toxins without manaul stimulation.
• IMPROVED CIRCULATION: I like to think of jade rolling as a mini workout session for your face. It’s important to stimulate blood circulation in our face too! Often, not having good blood circulation in your face can lead to acne, dark undereye circles, and dull skin.
• HELPS YOUR SKINCARE PRODUCTS ABSORB BETTER: Jade Rolling after applying each-step of your skincare routine will help the product better absorb and penetrate into the deep layers of your skin. If you’re not maximizing the effectiveness of your skincare products, you’re wasting both your money and time. No skincare product should be sitting on top of your skin and using a jade roller to massage it all in will make sure it never does.
• REDUCES PUFFINESS & SWELLING: Whether you had a long night of partying and drinking or you were up all night studying, we all have those days where we wake up with puffiness and dark circles. This is one of those times when you’ll want to put your jade roller in the fridge for 5 minutes prior to using it! The cooling sensation alone will sooth your skin and help reduce undereye swelling and puffiness. The cooling coupled with the lymphatic drainage will decrease swelling and shrink blood vessels, especially in the eye area.
– I love storing my jade roller in the fridge for that extra coolness. The cooling sensation feels like an instant pick-me-up in the mornings!
– If you’re applying serums or moisturizers before jade rolling, make sure to roll the stone between your hands to get it a bit warmer. This will open up your pores a bit more and ensure better absorption!
– If you don’t regularly use a toner, start using one. When using the jade roller, you’re massaging any make-up residue or dirt into your skin along with your skincare products. You want to make sure your face is clean before picking up your jade roller.
– Your final step should ALWAYS be cleaning your jade roller using a damp towel with soap and water, especially if you’re applying face products and oils on your skin before jade rolling.
Shop Jade Rollers:
Hope this post has been helpful! Let me know if you want to see a tutorial of my Jade Rolling technique on IG stories :)